Consultants and senior doctors Neuromuscular team

Consultants are senior doctors who specialise in a particular field of medicine.

Some of those you might come across include:

  • consultant neurologists, who may see adults who have a muscle-wasting condition
  • orthopaedic consultants, surgeons who specialise in problems with bone, joints and soft tissue problems. (Surgeons are often referred to as Mr, Mrs or Ms – rather than Dr – but they are qualified doctors!)
  • paediatricians, who specialise in working with children and conditions affecting them. A child with a muscle-wasting conditions is likely to be seen by a paediatric neurologist.