We believe it’s important that everyone can access the right support for their mental health when needed. That’s why we’re launching our new virtual therapeutic support groups.
Our tailored support groups
We’ve worked in partnership with Louise Halling, a professional counsellor and psychotherapist, who lives with limb girdle muscular dystrophy, to design our virtual therapeutic support groups. Through her own lived and professional experience, Louise has a unique perspective into the ways that muscular dystrophy can affect the emotional health of an individual, and their close family members.
In October 2023, the course bought together small groups over six consecutive weeks, to meet for an hour each week, supported by Louise as the group facilitator.
Some of the participants said
‘I think it's really beneficial to meet others going through similar challenges and I know even the two sessions I have been to have made me feel less alone'.
‘I would say that the group is working well in these early stages under your supervision and it’s possible to see the balance you bring, and I’m sure the insight and personal perspective that you have contributes to the seemingly relaxed environment’.
How it works
The groups are run in a similar style to a ‘facilitated peer support group’, which is essentially a safe and supported counselling and therapy setting. This provides a confidential, trusted, honest, protected space, which encourages open, emotional, and psychological discussion, while also enabling you to build significant connections with one another.
Groups in 2024:
- Group 1 : Newly diagnosed adults with a muscle wasting or weakening conditions - This group first session will be in April 2024 registration is open – register interest here.
- Group 2: Partners/Spouses of adults living with muscle wasting or weakening conditions - This groups first session will be in June 2024 and register interest soon
- Group 3: Parents group for dads of children living with muscle wasting or weakening conditions - This groups first session will be in September 2024 and register interest soon.
- Group 4: Parents group for mums of children living with muscle wasting or weakening conditions - This groups first session will be in October 2024 and register interest soon.
How to get involved
Register your interest. And then, we’ll arrange an online assessment with Louise to talk about your needs and whether you will be suitable for the group.
Please note, places are limited and you may be added to a waiting list until a place becomes available.
Two of the groups from 2023 are continuing as informal therapeutic support groups, that are volunteer led, with a facilitated session every eight weeks led by Louise Halling. You can join these groups by registering your interest –
- Men over 65 years living with a muscle wasting or weakening condition. The group meets every Tuesday virtually and are part of a WhatsApp group – register interest here
- People living with muscle wasting or weakening conditions and perimenopause and menopause. The group has a WhatsApp group – register interest here.