In addition to provision of invasive and non-invasive home mechanical ventilation the team runs a once monthly joint cardiorespiratory clinic (Drs Hart, Murphy and Kapetanakis) as well as a twice monthly neurology clinic (Dr Howard). The team undertake research to enhance the management of chronic respiratory failure as well research into muscle wasting conditions. They are unique in the UK as they provide a 24-hour medical, nursing and technical back up service for assisting patients who are experiencing difficulty in the home environment with a direct admission policy for patients into the 14-bed purpose built unit. This is all supported by the Lane Fox Outreach Service and Home Assessment Clinics.
How to access the service
Outpatient referrals are accepted from general practitioners and from hospital specialists
Dr Nicholas Hart
Clinical and Academic Director
Nicholas Hart is the clinical and academic director of the Lane Fox Respiratory Unit at St Thomas’ Hospital. His research is focused on enhancing health-related quality of life in patients with chronic respiratory diseases.
Dr Stamatis Kapetanakis
Dr Stamatis Kapetanakis is a consultant in heart failure and cardiac imaging. Dr Kapetanakis has many responsibilities, which include maintaining a dedicated muscular dystrophy clinic. His specialist research interests include cardiovascular manifestations of neuromuscular disease.
Dr Patrick Murphy
Consultant Respiratory Physician
Dr Patrick Murphy holds a PhD in respiratory physiology, and his area of expertise is domiciliary non-invasive ventilation sleep disordered breathing. Dr Murphy is the recipient of research awards from both the European Respiratory Society and American Thoracic Society. He has a special interest in respiratory physiology.
Transitional Care Coordinator
Other key people in the team include:
- Sister Natalie Grey , Ward Manager
- Dr Robin Howard , Consultant Neurologist
- Dr Joerg Steier , Consultant Respiratory Physician
- Dr Phil Marino , Consultant Respiratory Physician
- Dr Hina Pattani , Consultant Respiratory Physician
Clinics are held at Lane Fox Outpatient Clinic
- Joint Cardio-Respiratory Clinics (with speciality physiotherapy and genetic counselling) run once a month
- Neurology Clinics once a month
- Transitional Clinics (patient can be seen in outpatients from the age of 10 years and can be admitted into the Lane Fox Unit from the age of 15 years)